Thursday 28 October 2010

Complexity of build vs relative merit second Life as a VRLE...

The Virtual Reality Learning Environment....

I am now four or five hours into Second Life, I have met absolutely no one..... so the question of popularity is high in my mind... my own and or second life...

Im going through the tour of SL and I reckon that learning the interface alone will put off most learners... and then there is the immense development overhead.. Im not enjoying the user interface or experience and the look of how to build is seemingly complex as well.... I wonder whether the effort is worth it...

I reckon that if the experience is not immediate enough the learner will not use it, if a Student Learner can "borrow" a ready made avatar and negotiate an alien environment without a lengthy immersion session  then we may be in luck... EPIC and Caspian offer a single person avatar presented with scenarios, in second life the path to learning is embedding as the sheer variation within SL offers exponential outcomes (only some of which will be valid)  - this then begs the question then whether the learning of the environment is more important than the stuff we are trying to impart - is the content getting a fair crack of the whip.....?

If I can place my avatar in a closed environment that offers little distraction and learning tasks that are simple, fun and engaging  then potentially Im winning pedagogically..  its not looking good atm..

No comments: