Thursday 28 October 2010

After a few more hours with second life.. a few tutorials later

Well I've watched the first coding turorial and I understand it! And...I have no watched two or three SL building You Tube tutorials, which makes it all seem a lot less fearsome than  I thought.I am faiirly certain I can mock up a few chair workshops and some chairs some techniques some background and a seminar room with a a presentation screen with real pics... 

However it is going to be very laborious... Ive also odered the book

"Introduction to Linden Scripting"   though it seems to have some poor reviews - maybe it will be a good reference, as far as I can make out so far it seems that we actually have to code inside the SL browser - which makes me feel a bit claustrophobic.. oh well ever onward.. though I 'd like to be able to see the wood for the trees..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Linden-Scripting-Language-Second/dp/1604390042/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288301230&sr=1-3

I have bought a brand new laptop to do this work ( a Toshiba C650) which has a nice spec and a reasonably large screen but SL renders like a gameboy ATM...  I have fond memories of an earlier Toshiba; in 1986 I had a Tosh T3100 which was the first ever portable laptop - it was £2000 and had a pre windows orange plasma screen - I ran Lotus 123 and quickbasic in DOS on it and was as proud as punch...

No comments: