Tuesday 2 November 2010

Early attempts at Building and scripting in Second Life

SL scripting and building, the first real attempts

Its been a long day, as its past Midnight, In an attempt to re do the first exercise in Second Life from the lab - where Alan sent me the app script  many times and it appeared only when I left and re logged on... so I built the whole control box again... I think it worked though I am uncertain as the object seems to have disappeared again.. though a dialogue came up telling me where an object was in terms  of coordinates... so eight hours later Im not that certain Im that competent - rather worrying..

I have also installed a new graphics card on my server so I have 2 machines that now function with second life and a book arrived from amazon - the introduction to Linden scripting language... I wonder whether I will become proficient enough in the time available... its quite a concern..

Within the Linden environement it is also difficult to build objects rapidly as they dont snap to perspective... not useful  in 3D on an isometric view when the depth of field is hard to guage... this is tricky... and time consuming...

Interestingly enough I initially got a PCI express graphics card that wasnt correct for the mother board, when I went back to the store and was explaining what I was trying to attempt - the tech support fellow said " ah....second life that was the game where all the players dress up as little girls and there was a lot of trouble with the police...   this is not inspiring me with a great deal of confidence I must say...

No comments: