Tuesday 30 November 2010

Maybe Sloodle offers salvation?

The early bird catches the worm? I was invited to a webinar this morning presented by Daniel Jack Livingstone from the University of the West of Scotland...

The session was demonstrating how Sloodle tools could be used to develop interactive educational activities.... Hurrah! Whilst it was a 7 am gig... It was very helpful.

I can now potentially tie an immersive environment to the curriculum and assess as well... Well I think I can potentially do it with personal avatar based web pages... The original development that was demonstrated was equivalent to the HUD systems that the military use, but it offers a dedicated and personalised assessable environment.... Though again the development time does seem astonishing.... it reminds me of the economic principle that dictates that space expands to the time and volume it's given...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"space expands to the time and volume it's given... " yes this a problem we face all the time in education. I spend a colossal amount of time making a PowerPoint show or handout or video hoping I can use it next year and maybe the year after - but of course it only gets used once - was it worth it? I think this is actually one of the benefits of PowerPoint over other tools. I can pretty quickly make a good looking show, but then I fiddle with it. A lot of the time is spent/wasted in tinkering with colours/grammar/fonts etc. If we stripped it down to its basics and use a standard template I can probably save 60% of the time. I think SL is often similar. Its very tempting to spend a lot of time developing the right door knocker and flower bed, rather than concentrating on the educational bits.
Another solution is the development of a library of reusable learning objects so I can just pick off the shelf items to make a lot of my learning resource. Is this practical? Can we apply this to PowerPoint - Second Life - SLOODLE etc?

Mike D said...

Yep, I still think that as academics we actually prefer creation to re-use (which is an engineering construct...)

With Creation we can reinvent to make better rather than improve...

Is it just another art vs science venus vs mars dichotomy... Im firmly in the middle :-)